Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real...Family Reunion!

We had a family reunion over the weekend with my extended family on my mother's side. Almost all of my cousins made it, along with their spouses and children and grandchildren. Several of the cousins and their families couldn't make it this time, so we had a smaller group than usual, but we still had a great time.  I thought the event was worth documenting with a {pretty, happy, funny, real} post.

Pretty



The pretty young girl in this photo is my maternal grandmother, who was about eighteen at the time. It was taken around 1934. It's a 5 generation picture: my grandmother, whom we called "Mimmie," her first-born son, her father (Poppa - holding the baby), Poppa's mother, and her father, who would be my great-great-great grandfather. (Is that clear as mud?)

I had never seen this photo before, but at the reunion my uncle, who was the baby in the picture, gave each of us a copy of it.  I LOVE it! I had never seen my grandmother looking quite so young as she does in this picture.

Happy
My sister (in the blue top) and me with most of our first cousins.
Two of the cousins were missing. 
I love seeing these people! Getting together with them makes me very happy.

Funny

My cousin Karen, being funny with her dad.

Here's my dear Uncle Roy, the baby in the top picture, now the patriarch of the family. The four people on the left side of the picture are his children. 

Real 


My sister, me, and our menfolk.
is the love we grew up with, from our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, and the love we share with our children now!


round button chicken

8 comments:

  1. That five generation photo is such a treasure! I am always fascinated seeing photos of people I have only ever known as elderly. And yes, I could follow your generational rundown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you all had a great reunion.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! 5 generations- I don't know if my family has the tendency to live long enough....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like the expressions in old photos. Pictures were a big deal, something you prepared for and sat for, and folks always seem very serious about it. Thanks for sharing a part of your history!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your sister look very alike. I also like to get together with cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny that Lisa said we look alike. I have never thought that. But then again, the nurse knew you were my sister while you were in labor, so there MUST be a resemblence! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Sister - pretty soon there will be no older/younger - we'll be IDENTICAL TWINS! LOL

    ReplyDelete