Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Can't Believe It's Yogurt!

I did it!!!!

Homemade yogurt in my crockpot!

Of course, all did not go perfectly. I made a mess and ended up with less yogurt because of it.  However, the final product came out really well.  What I ended up with after the incubation time had the consistency of  commercial "low-fat" yogurt, and of course I wanted something a bit thicker, so I took a portion of what I made and let it sit on a layer of paper towels in a strainer over a bowl for several more hours in the fridge, and this is what I got:

Sorry about the sloppy mess on the side of the cup. I was so excited about the thick, creamy yogurt I didn't pay much attention to the details of my photo!

Yogurt thick enough to hold up the spoon! And it tastes just the way I wanted it to taste.  It is not too tart, and it has a wonderful creamy texture.  It still isn't quite like a commercial brand as far as thickness, but I think it's great for my first attempt.

I will definitely be making more yogurt.





2 comments: